The AMD design portfolio consists mainly of:
- Small commercial craft (passenger craft, water taxis, diveboats, workboats and tourism oriented boats);
- Special purpose craft (police, patrol, rescue, fire fighting and coast guard);
- Pleasure craft (motor and sailing yachts)
- Small fishing craft
Most of AMD's designs are in the 30 to 50 foot range, with some in the 90 to 120 foot range with specialization on high-speed craft and catamarans. By hull material, AMD designs in composites (55% of all designs), aluminum (40%), also steel and wood. We are proud show some important designs below:
PV99 and PV117 catamarans in action near Vladivostok. Builder - Pacifico Yachts (Russia); we design full range of boats for this manufacturer.
H48 catamaran yacht combines comfort, performance and stunning appearance. On photo above - version of boat engineered and licensed for commercial use in Australia. Builder - Bakricono Shipyard (Thailand). This boat is shortlisted as Significant Small Ship of 2015 by RINA.
F180EC1 passenger catamaran on Chaphraya river in Bangkok; 4 of these boats operate as river shuttles. Builder - Sakun C Innovation (Thailand). These boats are built in marine aluminum using pressed panels. This boat is shortlisted as Significant Small Ship of 2019 by RINA.
SB60SAR patrol and rescue boat built by S.E.A.T Boat (Thailand); 6 of these boats are in service, providing law enforcement and rescue at Gulf of Thailand. These boats feature paramedical treatment rooms with all necessary equipment.
AT1500 high-speed passenger catamaran; these safe and efficient boats are used for tourist transportation. Builder - AusThai Marine (Thailand)
H65 power catamaran yacht during sea trials; unique boat with solar assisted technology. Builder - Bakri Cono Marine (Thailand)
8m class sailboat ‘Katran’ (design ‘Pluto800’) racing in Odessa (Ukraine); builder - A.W.L Yachting (Ukraine).
Our flagship design - 90’ motoryacht ‘Golden Boy’ (design SB90) anchored at Ban Saray (Thailand); builder - S.E.A.T Boat (Thailand).
AS14 unique rescue/ambulance aluminium catamaran built by Aurora (Russia). This boat is shortlisted as Significant Small Ship of 2014 by RINA..
AB32-type catamaran ‘Diamond’ (our AR980 design) cruising off Sattahip coast (Thailand); builder - Andaman Boatyard (Thailand)
Our fast interceptor craft design SM16 during demonstration at NAVDEX2013 show at Abu Dhabi (UAE); builder - Solas Marine Lanka (Sri Lanka). This boat is shortlisted as Significant Small Ship of 2013 by RINA.
16m tour catamaran ’Blue World Safaris’ (our design AT1600) at picturesque islands of Andaman Sea (Thailand); builder - Aus Thai Marine (Thailand)
Our XP980 design used as press/committee boat for Volvo Ocean Race finish in Stockholm (Sweden); builder - BP Marine (Thailand) / XPolare Marine (Sweden)
Achievements of AMD in field of small craft design are:
- European Product design Award - Gold Prize 2019 - F100 water taxi design
- F180EC1 - Included in Significant Small Ships of 201 9 by Royal Institution of Naval Architects, UK, 2019
- European Product design Award - Silver Prize 2018 - P44 sailing catamaran design
- Maritime Safety Award at Boat & Yacht Thailand 2014 Conference
- H48 catamaran - Included in Significant Small Ships of 2015 by Royal Institution of Naval Architects, UK, 2015
- AS14 ambulance craft - Included in Significant Small Ships of 2014 by Royal Institution of Naval Architects, UK, 2014
- SM16 fast interceptor craft - Included in Significant Small Ships of 2013 by Royal Institution of Naval Architects, UK, 2013
- Silver Arrow 860 powerboat design - winner of Professional Boatbuilder Magazine Design Contest, 2010, USA
- Oxta1000 powerboat - Best Design Award from EMERCOM of Russia, 2010
- A2100 sailing yacht design - Golden Lighthouse Design Award, Russia, 2009
- Designed the committee boats for the Olympic games in China 2008;
- Designed special purpose boats for Clients in Vietnam, Singapore, Nigeria, Kazakhstan, India, Sweden, Russia, Thailand, UAE;
- Boats designed by AMD are used for commercial operations and passenger transportation in Nigeria, Thailand, Philippines, China, Cambodia, Korea, Malaysia, India, Italy, Russia, Vietnam, Vanuatu.
Albatross Marine Design works with boat builders in more than 10 countries in Asia, America, Europe and Australia. We also provide consultancy services for other design offices and shipyards around the world.
- By early 2015, almost 90 of our designs have been launched, many of them in series production. In total, we have developed 150 designs and concept designs.
- AMD’s sailing boat designs have crossed oceans and have had success in racing in different locations around the world.
- Several designs are currently in series production by discerning and reputable builders for world wide distribution and sales.
Albatross Marine Design works with boat builders in more than 15 countries in Asia, America, Europe and Australia. We also provide consultancy services for other design offices and shipyards around the world. By early 2019, over 100 of our designs have been launched, many of them in series production. In total, we have developed 160+ designs and concept designs.
For AMD, designing is an art, the aim of which is to develop functional outcomes that work within a pleasing appearance. It is not about creating a pleasing appearance that lacks practical function or performance.
A successful design is by necessity a reasonable compromise between:
The success of the design process may be judged by the degree of compromise required in satisfying the above often conflicting requirements.
Design is not just a visual presentation of a pleasing aesthetic structure, it is a complex solution of aesthetic, ergonomic and engineering tasks. In our practice, design means a complete and detailed set of plans, calculations and specifications with supporting documentation ready for the manufacturing process to begin.
A design set from AMD is complete. The builder does not need to consider building aspects such as where the plumbing fits, or where the wiring runs, how to create stiffness where needed, or what lamination schedule is required. All of this is provided in the design set.
We have wide experience in developing designs to ISO Small Craft standards and to other appropriate Standards or Rules of Classification Societies. Moreover, we work closely with certification agencies and have participated in the development, evaluation and adoption of a number of regulations, especially in field of high speed and small craft.
We combine our artistic flair with a sound knowledge of engineering and ergonomic principles, experience of boat construction and years of seagoing experience. We design boats in different styles; classic and modern, practical and military.
Our slogan is: We design elegant and practical boats for the sea, not just glamour toys for marinas.
AT800 catamaran - our company boat extensively used not only for weekend recreation, but also for testing and measurements; builder - Aus Thai Marine (Thailand) and this is already the second boat we own from this builder.